Monday 6 October 2008

Old ground new interest!

View from the top of Rivington

So, with Richard visiting the UK for the first time I have found myself visiting well trodden paths with new eyes. It is interesting looking at such familiar sights through the eyes of one from the US. I mean I have now come to the conclusion that Yes, we do drive way to fast and pack way too many cars in tiny streets.

Goodness knows how many of those streets I have driven up this last week! And yes, at least where I live, there is way too much crap and litter chucked about! But also, yes, we have some really lovely places...even up 'ere in the north west!!! It's been a whistle stop tour of the north west and we have yet to do Manchester, Liverpool and the Lakes before I go back to work next week!


York....


So York was extremely interesting and I got to meet Mark Cottrell in the flesh (at last!!!) It's quite weird knowing that Richard met Mark before I did in the bloomin states and Mark being here in this country! And having chatted to Mark via email and phone and IM's over the last year or 2 it was nice to actually meet the sweet feller!
Mark and Richard in the Evil Eye

Ah well we meet at last and what a lovely meeting that was! Sat in the Evil Eye taking pics as Neutral Sons meet in the flesh for only the second time! Then a boozy evening spent at Mark's place with Richard and Mark making some kind of sounds and a lovely meal cooked by Mark and his lovely wife Ali. Breakfast was a treat, Mark (resplendent in dressing gown and lovely knees) cooking a lovely Cheese on Toast (the gourmet version no less...) before moves had to be made back home to a Lucy cat awaiting breakfast...
and

Rain rain rain.... lots of rain interspersed with the odd spot of sun....

Hebden bridge....



But Sunday was literally 'Sun' day and we headed out to one of my favourite places, Hebden Bridge, and Richard got to meet a friend of mine and her cute dog Poppy! ..

Walking through Hebden it was lovely, the sun and the people and the vibes and stopping off for a cuppa coffee by the river and walking along the canal in the afternoon sun... A lovely place to dream of living...


Rivington.....



And so to Rivington, a local beauty spot complete with reservoirs, follies and walks a plenty! I have visited here many times before but it was interesting showing Richard around and reaching to the top of the hill with Richard.
Tired though!
So, all packed into just over a week! Not sure how much more I can fit in before work next week! It's certainly been action packed so far....!



Till next time!
Blessings
xxx

3 comments:

Kitty said...

It looks fabulous! Hope you are both having the times of your lives. Does he like it here?! x

Lily-Wren said...

Yes, having a lovely time Kitty. I think it is quite a lot to take in for a visiting American dude! But yes, he does like it here even though we drive like maniacs (apparently...hmm wait until he gets behind the wheel)...
I think the food has been a surprise to him, I do feel people assume us Brits eat crap and have no proper food to speak of...so the access to fresh food and organic stuff has been a surprise.
Mind you, so have all the take aways (to me!)...

Blessings
xxx

PENolan said...

I am now more convinced than ever I need to get myself to the motherland as soon as my kid is off at college (if I have any money left for myself).

Beautiful photos

xo
Tricia