Friday 13 March 2009

Christina Rossetti (1830-1894)

Christina Rossetti

I have recently been reading the poems of Christina Rossetti and have to say I have been carried along by her wonderful use of words. I have always admired her brothers work (from the Pre-Raphelite brotherhood) Dante Gabriel Rossetti, and had heard of Christina along the way. But, other than Goblin Market, I had never read any of her other poems. Until now that is.

Currently working my way through 'Goblin Market and other poems' I just had to comment on her work. If only I could use words to conjure up such emotions and feelings as she has for me, I would indeed be a very happy person! Anyway I just wanted to share this poem with you. I found it moving and sad. But for me, these are often they are the greatest poems...


Christina Rossetti as depicted by Dante Gabriel Rossetti



AT HOME
by: Christina Rossetti (1830-1894)


WHEN I was dead, my spirit turned
To seek the much-frequented house:
I passed the door, and saw my friends
Feasting beneath green orange boughs;
From hand to hand they pushed the wine,
They sucked the pulp of plum and peach;
They sang, they jested, and they laughed,
For each was loved of each.

I listened to their honest chat:
Said one: 'To-morrow we shall be
Plod plod along the featureless sands
And coasting miles and miles of sea.'
Said one: 'Before the turn of tide
We will achieve the eyrie-seat.'
Said one: 'To-morrow shall be like
To-day, but much more sweet.'

'To-morrow,' said they, strong with hope,
And dwelt upon the pleasant way:
'To-morrow,' cried they one and all,
While no one spoke of yesterday.
Their life stood full at blessed noon;
I, only I, had passed away:
'To-morrow and to-day,' they cried;
I was of yesterday.

I shivered comfortless, but cast
No chill across the tablecloth;
I all-forgotten shivered, sad
To stay and yet to part how loth:
I passed from the familiar room,
I who from love had passed away,
Like the remembrance of a guest
That tarrieth but a day.



Further information on Christina Rossetti ~ http://www.poetseers.org/the_great_poets/british_poets/rossetti/


5 comments:

Ticharu said...

That picture of her is great! She's out of her goard!

Lily-Wren said...

Ah Ticharu!!! The words though, the words! What do you think of the words??? tsk tsk.. I shall just have to stick to posting photos and pictures for you!
:)

Kitty said...

They sang, they jested, and they laughed,
For each was loved of each.


I love those lines - so ... poetic! I guess watching from the sidelines once one is dead might be a lot like watching from the sidelines of living?

x

Indrani said...

Great poem shared. We had one during our school days...I am not able to recollect now. Thanks for reminding me of her.

Have a happy week ahead!

Ruth said...

Hello Lily-Wren - thanks for visiting my blog. It seems we have a lot in common and I shall be back to read more here! And a very odd little coincidence, which I shall write up on my blog soon, regarding your Lily-Wren icon!